LET'S GET STARTED
To get started download the EmPower application. Once completed, submit the application using the form below and one of our specialists will get back to you within 1-2 business days.
CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY
The EmPower NY program provides free energy conservation measures to income-eligible families living in the state of New Jersey.
To be eligible, you must be:
- A customer of record with an individually metered electric or gas account and using this home as your primary residence
- Living in a building with 1 – 14 units (apartment, townhouse, etc.) individually metered
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A HOME ENERGY AUDIT
Once you have received your letter of approval, NYSEA will be in touch within a week to schedule an energy assessment of your home and its energy-using systems.
We take a “whole house” approach: look at how your house is heated, how well it keeps the heat in, how electricity is used, and your daily in-home activity. The assessment generally lasts one to three hours and identifies areas where energy efficiency, comfort and safety upgrades can be made.
During the initial visit, we will evaluate your electricity use and cost, and may provide some minor improvements at no cost. Examples include:
- Install high efficiency lighting as needed
- Review and adjust your thermostat setting for maximum comfort and savings
- Check and adjust your hot water temperature
- Evaluate the need for high efficiency showerheads and aerators, and install if needed
- Measure the energy use of your refrigerators and freezers. These may be replaced with new ENERGY STAR models, at no cost to you, if your old appliances use a lot of energy
- Check for carbon monoxide and evaluate the need for CO and smoke detectors
Depending on your energy use, your EmPower New York contractor may also evaluate the need for additional measures to reduce your heating cost. Examples include:
- Evaluate your heating system and conduct a combustion efficiency test
- Inspect the heating distribution system: the ducts or pipes that bring you heat.
- Assess the insulation levels in the home, which usually involves probing the walls for insulation, inspecting the attic or roof insulation, measuring the home, and ensuring that insulation is in all the right places
- Measure the air leakage in the home, using a “blower door.” This device helps us determine if the house is drafty, find the leaks, and make sure that the home still has sufficient fresh air after the work is done.
- Check for gas leaks if natural gas or propane are in use at the dwelling
If the services are approved, we will return to install them at no cost to you.
Once all of the work has been completed, NYSEA will perform final tests to ensure that the energy efficiency measures are performing exactly as they should.
Before, during or after the work, you may be contacted by EmPower Quality Assurance and Quality Control inspectors. These teams work independently from participating contractors to ensure that the measures are installed correctly.